Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mean Girls...

I have an 11 year old daughter that I call “Peanut” and I do my best everyday to be a good role model for her.  So far, I think I’ve done a pretty good job.  She and I watch a lot of what I call “trash TV.”  I can’t help it.  If there’s a Real Housewife around – I have to watch her.   I can spot a Kardashian a mile away.  I love this mindless, silly drama.  Don’t judge me. 

So, Peanut and I watch these shows together and it leads to all sorts of conversations about girls and friendship and also a lot of examples of “how not to behave.”   I’ve explained to her that while I think these shows are silly and mindless and sometimes the behavior of these women is downright horrifying, I find it terribly entertaining. 

Now, I live in a cul de sac.  I’ve lived there for about 14 years.  It’s a great neighborhood filled with lots of Moms with loads of kids around the same ages.  It can also be a neighborhood filled with drama, petty nonsense and sometimes bad behavior.  On TV this is entertaining.  Real life?  Not so much.

One of the women in my neighborhood had WLS a year ago and there is this one woman who has not had a kind word to say about it (not that anyone has asked for her opinion).  Mind you, she didn’t like her much to begin with, but some of the things she said were downright mean.  She also began posting things on Face book about losing weight with dieting and exercising “the old fashioned” way.  Yes, we’re all Face book friends.  It’s terrible. 

Most of us have just ignored it, not wanting to get in the middle of it, but I think it’s like bullying at this point and we’re all supposed to be role models for our children and I feel like I’ve really let myself down – not to mention the woman who’s been on the receiving end.  Also, I’ve started this WLS journey and haven’t breathed a word it for fear that I will be her next target.  I don’t know what to do.  I don’t want to get mixed up in something that doesn’t involve me, but at the same time it feels wrong to sit back and watch.  This isn’t the BRAVO or E! Channel.  It’s my neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment